Pack in all the excitement of an epic long arctic cruise into only seven days with the Spitsbergen Highlights: Expedition in Brief itinerary. In just a week, you’ll cruise through the pack ice up to 80°N along the west coast of Spitsbergen like an explorer of long ago, on a constant search for wildlife. Though this rocky island is covered in mountains and glaciers, the towering cliffs and fjords play host to a surprisingly thriving and varied ecosystem. Exploring as much of the area as possible will provide optimal opportunities to spot the most iconic of arctic wildlife, the polar bear.
The Arctic has been inspiring explorers for centuries, and our expeditions offer the chance for you to discover why. We’re excited to host you on your unforgettable adventure! Feel free to reach out to our team of Polar Travel Advisers or your travel professional, who can answer your questions and provide assistance at any time.
• View iconic arctic wildlife, such as polar bears, walrus and reindeer
• Enjoy all the adventure of an arctic expedition in a week
• Cruise in a Zodiac to explore glaciers, fjords, icebergs and more
• Hike the colorful tundra
• Immerse yourself in the icy realm of the Arctic with optional kayaking adventures
Your Arctic voyage begins in Oslo, Norway’s vibrant capital city. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and green spaces to keep you busy before retiring at your included airport hotel.
This morning, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen’s largest settlement, where you’ll have some time to explore before embarkation. As your ship sets sail, enjoy great vistas of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this historic town.
You’ll sail around the shores of this magical island, constantly searching for polar bears and other natural wonders. Covering western Spitsbergen, your expedition will afford ample opportunities to view immense glaciers, deep fjords, soaring mountains and unique flora and fauna.
Sailing north into Krossfjord, have your camera handy, ready to capture some of the best glacier calving in Spitsbergen. Deep in the fjord, the highly active Lilliehöök Glacier awaits. Listen in awe to the growling as big chunks break off into the icy waters below. A Zodiac excursion to nearby Ny London, an abandoned mining settlement, provides an ideal place for a guided walk. Encounters with wildlife, such as the indigenous Svalbard reindeer, are possible here.
After cruising overnight, wake up to the stunning sight of the magnificent Monaco Glacier, another prolific iceberg producer. To make this even more thrilling, help your Expedition Team to scan the shorelines and ice edge for marine mammals. Possible landing sites include Texas Bar, Worsleyneset and the Andoyane Islands (where polar bears have been known to roam). At 80°N, you’ll reach a walrus sanctuary on the tiny, crescent-shaped Moffen Island. Watching from the water as large groups of these lumbering giants jockey for space is an unforgettable experience, so be ready with your binoculars.
At Smeerenburg you can see the remains of an abandoned settlement that was established by Dutch whalers nearly 400 years ago. Here, at one of Europe’s most northerly outposts, you’ll have time to explore ashore and learn about Spitsbergen’s whaling history. Afterwards, cruising to Magdalenafjord rewards you with panoramic vistas of snow-capped mountains and massive glaciers reflected in the crystal-clear waters.
During your last full day of your arctic adventure, you may visit the Russian mining town of Barentsburg, home of the world’s northernmost brewery. We hope to round out the day in Alkehornet, taking in the towering cliffs teeming with nesting seabirds, such as fulmars and Brünnich’s guillemots (thick-billed murres). Encounters with reindeer might be possible here too. Later, in the evening, swap stories with your shipmates and crew one last time, at the captain’s dinner.
The time to say goodbye has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we’ll transfer you to the airport for your return group charter flight to Oslo.
Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy—and excitement—of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
A Triple Cabin has two lower berths and one upper berth, private facilities, and a porthole with exterior views.
A Lower Deck Twin cabin has two lower berths, private facilities, and a porthole with exterior views.
A Main Deck Twin Porthole cabin has two lower berths, private facilities, and a porthole with exterior views.
A Main Deck Twin Window cabin has two lower berths, private facilities, and two windows with exterior views.
A Deluxe Cabin has two lower berths, private facilities, and windows with exterior views.
A Superior cabin has two lower berths, private facilities, and windows with exterior views.
Note: this cabin has either corner or parallel bed configuration.
A Suite has a double bed, windows with exterior views, private facilities. Cabin 403 has a bathtub; other Suites have showers.
An Owner's Suite has a double bed and private sitting room. One features a large panoramic window facing aft, and the other two suites face port and starboard.
MANDATORY TRANSFER PACKAGE: 1450 AUD pp
Vessel Type: Comfortable Expedition
Length: 90 metres
Passenger Capacity: 118
Built / refurbished: 1975 / 1998 / 2017 - re-named to the Ocean Adventurer in June 2017
Ocean Adventurer is designed to carry 132 travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world. Originally built in Yugoslavia in 1976, this nimble, ice-strengthened ship has become a passenger favourite over the years and underwent refurbishments in 1999 and 2002 with the most significant being in 2017.
With the latest rounds of refurbishments guests will enjoy:
• A refreshed, contemporary new look and feel throughout the ship.
• The addition of six new twin cabins and three new suites.
• All existing cabins will be furnished with all new soft furnishings and brand new bathrooms.
• Main common areas such as the Lounge and Dining Room will be remodeled as well as the Bar.
• Major technical enhancements – include two new Rolls Royce engines, which will significantly increase fuel efficiency and minimized carbon footprint.
Special offers available till 29 June 2022. Prices online do not show the discounted rates. Terms and Conditions apply, please contact us for more details.
• Voyage in selected cabin category
• Rubber boots for use throughout the voyage
• Expedition Parka to keep
• Experience Expedition leader and team
• All shore landings and zodiac cruises as specified in the itinerary
• All meals while on board the ship
• Soft Drinks, Juice, Tea and Coffee while on board the ship
• Beer and Wine with dinner
• Lectures and presentations on board held by Expedition team and guest speakers as scheduled
• Photographic journal of the expedtion
• Luggage handling on board the ship
• Emergency Evacuation insurance up to a maximum of USD$500,000.00 per person
• All port charges/taxes
• Transfers between Longyearbyen town center and port on embarkation and disembarkation day
• International and Domestic airfares unless specified
• Passport and Visa costs if applicable
• Meals ashore unless specified
• Travel insurance including cancellation insurance
• Mandatory waterproof pants - required for zodiac cruises and landings
• Any items of a personal nature including medical costs incurred on board
• Phone and Internet charges incurred on board
• Transfers other than those specified in inclusions
• Pre and post voyage accommodation unless stated in the itinerary
• Optional excursions (Eg kayaking where available)
• Arrival and departure transfers in Oslo
• 2022 Mandatory Transfer Package. Includes One night pre-voyage hotel accommodation at Oslo airport hotel, with breakfast, Charter flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen, Arrival and departure transfers in Longyearbyen, Charter flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo.
• Gratuities or tips are always at your discretion. We recommend that you budget $10 to $15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board. Gratuities are collected anonymously at the end of each voyage. They are distributed among staff and crew. Payment can be made in cash or charged to your shipboard account.