Our Antarctica Express Air-Cruise was designed for travelers looking for a quick and affordable visit to the White Continent. This expedition offers you the chance to visit Cape Horn, cruise the Drake Passage, land in Antarctica, and fly back.
• Enjoy a day in Antarctica exploring the landscape.
• Enjoy the privilege of seeing penguins, whales, seals, and many species of antarctic birds in their native habitat.
• Enjoy a day exploring Antarctica on a Zodiac boat on our most affordable air-cruise.
• Fly from Antarctica back to Punta Arenas, Chile, and avoid one crossing of the Drake Passage.
• Visit legendary Cape Horn during your Antarctica Express Air-Cruise.
Board your ship at the pier in the afternoon and sail along the Beagle Channel towards Puerto Williams, Chile, the southernmost town in the world. Explore the surroundings before setting sail to Cape Horn.
After an overnight crossing of Nassau Bay, you awake in full view of legendary Cape Horn! Weather permitting, board a Zodiac and be one of the few privileged adventurers to step foot on this famous and rarely visited island. Back on board, set sail towards Antarctica and cross the famous passage named in honour of Sir Francis Drake, the great 16th century British explorer.
As you sail through the Drake Passage en route to King George Island, in the South Shetland Islands, attend an engaging program of lectures and presentations. In the company of expert guides, watch for wildlife from the lounge or from the outside decks. You may spot magnificent seabirds, such as albatrosses and petrels, as well as different species of whales on their way south to Antarctica.
After crossing the Antarctic Convergence, the environment changes noticeably. Keep your camera ready, as this is the time to watch for the first icebergs and the first sight of Antarctic land. Reaching the South Shetland Islands, sail in ice-filled bays, while enjoying the company of seabirds, penguins, seals and whales. Board a Zodiac for your first memorable shore visit to a penguin colony. Taking advantage of the endless Antarctic daylight, exploration will continue well into the evening
Upon reaching King George Island, disembark at Fildes Bay. A 2-km (1.25-mi) walk takes you through Chile’s Frei Station and Russia’s Bellingshausen Station to the aircraft. Bid farewell to Antarctica as you board the flight back to Punta Arenas. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel for the night. (Note: Meals in Punta Arenas are at your leisure and not included in the program).
After breakfast, transfer to the Punta Arenas airport for your onward flight.
Every effort will be made to adhere to the planned program. However, with this type of adventurous travel to Antarctica, changes to the itinerary may occur due to severe and unpredictable weather. We need to emphasize the fact that weather conditions are unpredictable and that safety is always the paramount concern on any Antarctic voyage.
11 January, 2022 to 16 January, 2022
Size: 440 ft2 -40 mt2. 2 twin beds and 1 queen-size sofa bed, 2 private balconies with sitting area
Size: 220 ft2 -20 mt2. 2 twin beds or 1 king-size bed
Size: 220 ft2 -20 mt2. 2 twin beds or 1 king size bed, private balcony with sitting area
Size: 220 ft2 -20 mt2. 2 twin beds or 1 king-size bed, private balcony with sitting area
Size: 330 ft2 -30 mt2. 2 twin beds or 1 king-size bed, private balcony with sitting area
Size: 220 ft2 -20 mt2. 1 king-size bed, private balcony with sitting area
Size: 440 ft2 -40 mt2. 2 twin beds or 1 king-size bed, 2 private balconies with sitting area
Vessel Type: Expedition
Length: 90.7 m - 298 ft.
Passenger Capacity: 100 (only 69 passengers for Air-Cruise operations)
MV Magellan Explorer features 50 passenger suites and cabins in five categories of accommodation, including dedicated single cabins. The cabins are very spacious, ranging in size from 40 m2 (440 sq. ft.) to 20 m2 (220 sq. ft.). All double cabins have two twin beds that can be configured as one queen-size bed, offering great flexibility to our guests. 42 cabins feature a large window and a private balcony, while 8 cabins feature a porthole. All cabins feature a private bathroom and a sitting area.
Public areas include a large, forward-facing observation lounge, an observation deck, a dining room that accommodates all guests and expedition staff in a single sitting, two meeting rooms, a gift shop, a protected outdoor barbecue area, a gym, and a sauna. The bow of the ship is accessible to guests to offer expansive views during exploration. Optional adventure activities, such as kayaking and snowshoeing, are available.
Specific measures have been taken to minimize MV Magellan Explorer’s carbon footprint, including state-of-the-art engines that meet MARPOL’s stringent Tier III emission standards. To minimize fuel consumption, a waste heat recovery system recycles the heat produced by the ship’s engines and repurposes it to power the ship’s heating system and to warm the water used on board.
• Port Fees/Taxes
• All meals on board the ship
• Complimentary Coffee/Tea and water throughout the voyage
• Complimentary Wine, beer, juice, and soft drinks served with lunch and dinner while on board
• Flight from Punta Arenas to Frei Station on King George Island and/or vice versa as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage
• Group transfers airport - hotel on the Day of the Scheduled Return Flight from Antarctica
• Group transfers hotel - airport on last Day of the itinerary
• All Zodiac excursions
• On board lectures
• Evening entertainment
• Comprehensive Pre-departure materials
• Rubber boots to borrow for the voyage
• 1 overnight with breakfast in Punta Arenas at the Cabo de Hornos Hotel or similar on the Day of the Scheduled Return Flight from Antarctica
• International airfares
• Pre and post voyage accommodation unless specified in the itinerary
• Travel insurance including mandatory Medical Evacuation insurance
• Beverages not listed in inclusions
• Meals when not on board the ship unless specified in the itinerary
• Transfers not listed in the itinerary
• Passport and visa costs if applicable
• Personal expenses including any medical expenses incurred on board
• Optional excursions (eg kayaking where available)
• Gratuities (recommended USD$15.00 per passenger per day